What Is The Best CMM Software?
Even the best coordinate measuring machines can’t perform in an excellent manner unless they are fitted with the correct software. New applications are appearing on the market on a regular basis, making the metrology task easier while improving measuring speed and results.
Whether you are choosing a new CMM or sending your old machine to be retrofitted or upgraded, CMM software is one of the first things to pay attention to. It can either improve your measuring time and quality or hurt it. So what is the best CMM software solution on the market today?
At Status Metrology, we work with a whole suite of CMM programmes. However, thanks to our long-standing partnership with Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, we were introduced many years ago to PC-DMIS. Our experts, customers and tens of thousands across the Globe believe this is the very best solution there is – for new machines, retrofits and upgrades.
PC-DMIS – Benefits
PC-DMIS comes in several variations to suit specific machines and inspection needs. The software is powerful enough to handle even the toughest tasks.
PC-DMIS is manufactured by Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence. The company provides ongoing responsive support and frequent upgrades, which makes the software an excellent long term investment.
Other advantages include:
- Excellent user interface
- Low learning curve
- Save time
- Increase productivity
- Smaller file sizes (simplified email sending)
- CAD data incorporation (with PC-DMIS CAD and CAD++)
- PTB certified
- Regular maintenance, updates and new features
See our infographic below where we take a closer look at some of the best features the software has to offer:
PC-DMIS – Versions
Hexagon offers several versions of their CMM software to suit the measuring needs of different industries and applications. They include:
- PC-DMIS Pro – Flagship package which doesn’t require CAD data, making it a perfect choice for non-CAD applications. It offers advanced measuring, analytical, and reporting capabilities.
- PC-DMIS CAD – Applies CAD technology to the inspection process. It creates inspection routines in a virtual environment, as well as all kinds of visual models, and allows import and exports of CAD data in any format.
- PC-DMIS CAD ++ – Features an advanced set of measurement tools for improved scanning, part alignment, and analysis. It uses data from noncontact sensors, cameras, and laser-scanning probes and improves the measuring capabilities of different CMM machines.
- PC –DMIS Touch – Created specifically for Romer Absolute Arms. The program is tablet-based, has a full set of inspection tools, and provides 2-D or 3-D dimensional reporting.
- PC – DMIS Portable – Created for portable CMM devices. It has all the features of the above versions, a simple and customisable UI, and a wide range of automation choices, from manual to automated inspection routines for DCCs.
- PC-DMIS Vision – designed to simplify the visual inspection process. It provides simulated camera measurements, online and offline programming options, a wide range of editing tools, advanced algorithms for accurate edge detection, and more.
PC-DMIS 2020 R2 – The Latest Edition
Last year, Hexagon launched the latest edition of their CMM software: PC-DMIS 2020 R2. The latest version improved on existing features and saw some new editions. Some of the most notable include:
- GD&T Selection from Capture V3: Improves user efficiency thanks to the OCR engine getting an overhaul.
- Integration with HxGN SFx: Providing a simple way to monitor and analyse the performance of key assets via a single dashboard.
- Path Optimizer: Enables you to measure more parts, quicker. Worth it for this alone!
- Change Manager: Enables you to ensure that inspection routines created from previously imported InspectionPlan or CAD models are updated to the latest revision.
- 3D PDF: Simplified report generation and take the guesswork out of what to print.
- Laser Stripe Spacing: Control machine parameters by setting the fields you care about.
Take a look at some of the embedded videos below, showing PC-DMIS features in more detail.
Would you like to take a closer look at PC-DMIS 2020 R2 to improve your inspection capabilities? Status is currently offering a completely FREE, no obligation demo. Request yours here.